By Clive Makumbe
The Midlands province is ready to host the National Youth and Paralympic Games set for August following their postponement last year after a typhoid and cholera outbreak in Gweru that killed over eight people and bedding hundreds.
Sports Recreation Commission (SRC) director-general Prince Mupazviriho said that, preparations are at an advanced stage to finally host the rebranded National Youth games.
“The level of preparedness is spot on. We have spruced the sporting facilities, accommodation and were the athletes will eat during the games. These maybe regarded as the best games since they were formed.
“We are happy that corporates, individuals and local organising committee have supported the preparation of the games. I can see that everything is under control and we are almost 100 percent ready for the games,” he said.
Mupazviriho said the government is well prepared against any problems that might hinder the games from being a success.
“Last year we had to postpone the games due to Cholera and Typhoid outbreak but now everything is in place if such a crisis awakens. Certainly the Director of Sport and his team are working flat out to assure that this does not happen again,” he said.
The Under-23 category and open age group for the Paralympic athletes will take place between July 27 and August 3 while the U-18 category runs from August 4 to 10.
2 000 athletes and officials from all over the country’s provinces are expected to appear at the Midlands capital.
Participants will compete in 19 sporting disciplines that include soccer, athletics, handball, boxing, tennis, netball, volleyball, cricket, baseball and basketball, among others.
These games used to mainly focus on the U-20 age group but the re-branded games will now encompass the U-23’s, where successful athletes will be selected for high level training and exposure.